Saturday, April 19, 2008

5 Things I learned from my mentoring experience

1. Mentoring is a powerful tool to build connections; personal or professional. Consciously building mentoring relationship is something that I will take with me from this point forward. I’ve been fortunate enough to have met or worked with some incredibly gifted people. I plan to take advantage of those opportunities and turn some of those into mentoring relationships. "Those who seek mentoring, will rule the great expanse under heaven" Tao Mentoring, Huang and Lynch 1995.

2. I have it within me to be a mentor. To build a relationship on a level that allows me to be the expert without the traditional hierarchal boundaries.


3. I’ve been here before, just never thought about it as mentoring, or given it a structure. This course and the text assignment helped me understand the process in a way that I can now create “mindful” learning as I engage in the mentoring relationship. In this way I come from a place of consciousness where as I build the mentoring relationship, I value my mentee and I value and recognize my own learning in the relationship.

4. It takes a lot of work to maintain the relationship. Scheduling, following up, and thinking about the relationship continuously, being present not just during your time together, but being present means being in the relationship wholeheartedly.


5. Listen, Listen, listen unconditionally

No comments: